Sunday, March 4, 2018

A Peek into the Lives of Entrepreneurs during the Dot-Com Time Period

"Startup.com" is a documentary about a startup. It totally was not metaphorically named. At first I was not too excited to watch it. The first ten minutes or so felt like any other documentary, introducing the subjects of the documentary, Tom Herman and Kaleil Tuzman, through observations of their everyday life. And then they started working...

“govWorks.com”

Since the whole “dot com” boom and bust thing was happening at the same time of the shooting of this film, I figured that this company of theirs was going to be crazy successful. It started with an idea of paying for your parking tickets online. At this point I was still not very interested. Then they started growing, like almost exponentially. In a few months they went from about 8 employees, 70 employees, 120 employees, and then to over 200. Here they are worth millions. Drama was always present throughout their journey, and there were different things that resolved their issues; ups and downs. But when the drama escalated towards one hundred, I became interested, and I wanted to see what happened afterwards.

Overall, I enjoyed watching Tom, but mostly Kaleil, going about running a business. It was eye-opening; the business world really does seem as crazy as Andrew Fry describes it. To be honest, after watching this movie and seeing all the hardships and hearing all that business terminology, I was pretty discouraged, and I do not really want to start a business as much as I did on the first day of the course.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Peek into the Lives of Entrepreneurs during the Dot-Com Time Period

"Startup.com" is a documentary about a startup. It totally was not metaphorically named. At first I was not too excited to watch i...