Saturday, February 24, 2018

The Protection of Upsee's Intellectual Property

The name Upsee is derived from the term "up and coming", which refers to musical artists on the rise; more details are in an earlier blog post. But this isn't the point I am writing about. The point of this post is to describe how I will protect that name and anything else that belongs to Upsee.

This name and definitely an in-progress logo will be the first set of intellectual property I would start protecting, and I will do that by making them our trademarks. However I feel like that is something all businesses do anyway; kind of like a default, standard thing to do. Since Upsee is computer software, the actual code that makes up the website will be copyrighted...

... and that's it! We do not make inventions or anything, so patents are not needed. Also, I have not thought of any trade secrets that we might have, since everything is just code which is already has copyrights. Upsee is user driven, so literally all of the content on there will belong to and be created by those users. I am not entirely sure if we are supposed to be involved with their content in regards to intellectual property protection; I was thinking they would do that themselves, or perhaps we would have a built-in system that automatically protects them. 

I am slightly familiar with the idea of protecting intellectual property; I am definitely not an expert. But this is roughly how I would go about protecting my stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Peek into the Lives of Entrepreneurs during the Dot-Com Time Period

"Startup.com" is a documentary about a startup. It totally was not metaphorically named. At first I was not too excited to watch i...